4.17.2011

phoenix

I've been able to go to Phoenix a couple of times in the last month or so... the first time was just for fun and the second time was for work... I had two overnights there twice in a row! So I was pretty much the luckiest girl ever and got to hang out with Holly again!

She picked me up from the airport and we had plenty of fun running errands and hanging out. We went to dinner at this really good restaurant. I wish I could remember the name, but we got spinach artichoke dip and grilled cheese with bacon and apples. It was amazing and we ate our little hearts out.

IMG_3461

Holly had plans the second day I was there, so I decided to go on a walk. The hotel we stay at is by ASU and for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to walk to the temple (I had heard there was a really good photo gallery at the visitor's center)... Well, the temple is 5 miles away from where I was staying, but the irrational girl inside of me thought that it wouldn't be a problem. Plus, about a block away was the light rail and I thought for sure it would take me all the way to downtown Mesa. I was wrong. It went for a few miles, but where it ended and I started walking, had to be THE most ghetto part of Mesa. But I had already gone too far, and I couldn't turn back. I was determined. So I'm walking down Apache Blvd, and 7 cars honk at me, 3 creepy men pull over to ask me if I need a ride, and two cop cars drive by... both times the officers looked at me strangely as they thought to themselves, "What in the world is that girl doing???" Anyhow, after walking for what seemed like hours, I made it to the temple. It was getting dark and I was laughing at myself because I had forgotten to think about the fact that the visitors center was probably closed. Anyway, I walk closer, and I hear angelic music coming from the park next to the temple. There were herds of people walking towards it... so, naturally, I went to see what all this business was about. Turns out Mesa was having its annual Easter Pageant of Jesus the Christ... and I had gotten there just in time. So I found myself a seat way up front (which is easy to do when you are by yourself) and watched one of the coolest Easter productions I have ever seen. Anyway, I took a cab back and made it home safe and sound. But I was glad to have survived my little adventure.

1 comment:

Tristen said...

I'm so glad you survived too! You are so lucky your job takes you all over the place, that has got to be fun. Next time you are in Phoenix, give my sister a call and she'd love to meet up with you! Taani and Ryan live not far from Phoenix,also I think Devin and his new wife are Arizona based?! I could be wrong!